walnut, watercress and roquefort saladPrint Recipe
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp walnut oil
In baking pan toast nuts in oven until golden and fragrant, about 10 minutes. In a small nonstick skillet stir together walnuts, sugar, salt, and walnut oil, then cook over moderate heat, stirring, until sugar caramelizes and coats nuts. Transfer mixture to a bowl and cool. Break walnuts apart once cooled.
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp walnut oil 1½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp fresh tarragon, finely chopped, or pinch salt and pepper dried tarragon
Mince garlic, then mash to a paste with salt in a bowl. Whisk in mustard and lemon juice. Add oil to mustard mixture in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified. Whisk in tarragon, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 head Belgian endive
- 2 bunches watercress (about 6 cups packed)
- 2 ounces Roquefort, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
Trim endive and cut into julienne strips. Discard coarse stems from watercress and toss with endive and dressing. Top salad with Roquefort and caramelized walnuts.